After meeting at the Geneva Motor Show, last night we were to attend the official “fiesta” and event of the new Kia Picanto in Madrid, on Eccola KitchenBar, where we could see it very closely.
Originally launched back in 2004, the Kia Picanto has gone through twoface lifts before arriving in its all-new form here on the Geneva Motor Show stage. The redesigned A-segment hatchback features the modern design language shared by the rest of the family, and it’s offered in three door (available in this fall) or five door versions. The 2012 Picanto is available with a choice between two engines combinated with a five speed manual gearbox. The base engine is a 1.0-liter with three-cylinder unit that’s offered 68 horsepower at 6,200 rpm.
A larger 1.25-liter four cylinder is also available, which produces 86 horsepower at 6,000 rpm. Those manual transmissions and tiny engines help the Picanto achieve excellent fuel economy. The 1.25-liter model earns nearly 66 miles per gallon (3.56 l/100km) in mixed driving while the 1.0-liter Kia nets 67 mpg (3.51 L/100km). It offers buyers numerous ‘big car’ comfort and convenient features, many of them unusual on a model in this segment. At the heart of the cabin’s appeal is its simplicity. While the overall design philosophy is consistent with the rest of the Kia range, the Picanto has several styling cues which are very much its own.
The major controls are arranged in an attractive and easy-to-use layout which emphasises the space of the interior. A thick-rimmed two-spoke steering wheel and Kia signature ‘three cylinder’ instrument cluster provide clear and precise graphics. The new Picanto will be available with automatically controlled air conditioning, plus electric and heated folding door mirrors with integrated side repeaters. Steering wheel-mounted audio controls allow drivers to keep their hands on the steering wheel at all times.
Other new features available include Autolightcontrol, projection headlamps, LED high mounted stop lamp and rear LED combi-lamp, AUX, iPod and USB connections with MP3 compatibility for the radio/CD player, Bluetooth hands-free with voice recognition and heated front seats. For Spain, the Kia Picanto offered with four versiones, Basic, Concept, Drive and Emotion (only available with 1.2 four-cylinder).
- ABS + EBD.
- Six airbags.
- Stering wheel.
- Electric Front Windows.
- Central Locking.
- Trip Computer.
- Folding rear seat.
- Adjustable steering wheel.
- Radio/CD Pre-instalation.
- Air conditioning.
- Radio CD with MP3.
- Driver seat: individual type adjustable height.
- Smoker’s package.
- Electrically and Heat Adjustable Door Mirrors.
- Electric Rear Windows.
- USB and iPod connection.
- Painted front and rear bumpers.
- Body Coloured Door Handles.
- Front Seatback Pockets.
- Under Case passenger seat.
- Alloy wheel.
- Projection Headlamps with LED strip.
- Front fog lights.
- Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Controls and Bluetooth hands free.
- Automatic lights on and rain sensor.
- Chrome Interior Package.
- Leather Trimmed Steering Wheel and Gearshift.
- Electrically Adjustable Door Mirrors with LED.
- Luggage Area Parcel Shelf.
- Front Cabin Sunglasses Case.
Metallic Paint, 280 €.
- Kia Picanto 5 door 1.0i 69 CV Basic 7.790 €.
- Kia Picanto 5 door 1.0i 69 CV Concept 9.090 €.
- Kia Picanto 5 door 1.0i 69 CV Drive 9.790 €.
- Kia Picanto 5 door 1.2i 85 CV Emotion 11.090 € .
Thanks to Kia Motors Iberia invite us to the event.
Gallery of event:
Photos at the event by Mario Herraiz, follow it on twitter @M_Herraiz
And the full gallery:
The Spanish TV Spot version: