After recently debuting the all-new fifth generation Sportage, Kia has unveiled an electrified version of the brand’s longest running nameplate at the Los Angeles Auto Show (LAAS). The 2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid (HEV) is the third model in an ongoing cadence of eco-minded offerings guided by Kia’s global EV strategy, ‘Plan S.’
This newest Kia follows in the footsteps of the recently launched EV6 and the Sorento PHEV to serve as another example of Kia’s multiple pathways to electrification.
Arriving early next year, the Sportage Hybrid will deliver an ideal mix of fuel efficiency and power along with an abundance of room for gear. Significantly larger than the previous generation Sportage, the Hybrid will allow owners to enjoy class-leading rear seat legroom and rear cargo capacity2. The “Opposites United” design language employed on Sportage brings a bold blend of modern styling and sporty visual elements, while its interior offers the latest in technology, including an expansive list of ADAS features and dual panoramic display screens (12.3-inch instrument panel display and 12.3-inch infotainment touchscreen display) for nearly 25 inches of viewing.
This Sportage’s electrified performance comes from a seamless hybrid powertrain combining a 1.6-liter turbocharged engine with a 44-kilowatt motor to achieve up to 39 mpg (targeted).
Together, engine and motor make 226 horsepower channeled to either the front wheels or an active all-wheel-drive system. The result is a fuel-sipping compact SUV that delivers an engaging driving experience.
“The new Sportage Hybrid SUV marks yet another step in Kia’s advance on sustainable mobility, as part of our global ‘Plan S’ efforts,” said Sean Yoon, president and CEO, Kia America, Kia North America. “In addition to paving a new pathway to electrification, the Sportage Hybrid also delivers superb driving dynamics, cutting-edge design, and a vast array of technology for a world-class in-car experience.”
The Sportage Hybrid is offered in three trim levels: LX, EX, and SX-Prestige.
Best of Both Worlds Power and Efficiency
The Sportage Hybrid blends performance and efficiency with an optimized powertrain:
- – 1.6-liter turbo GDI engine
- – 44kW permanent magnet electric motor
- – High-output 1.49 kWh lithium-ion battery
- – 6-speed automatic transmission with rotary style shifter
- – Combined 226 horsepower (targeted)
- – Up to 39 mpg in FWD (targeted)
- – Class-leading 2,000 lb towing capacity
- – Active AWD is standard on EX and SX-Prestige trims, while LX is available with a choice of FWD and Active AWD
- – Active AWD system uses electro-hydraulic coupling with center-locking differential to actively distribute power between front and rear wheels depending on road and driving conditions
- – E-Handling uses the hybrid motor to deliver a confident driving experience
- – Standard paddle shifters and Drive Mode Select with ECO, Sport, Smart and Snow modes.
Inspired by high-end outdoor products, furniture, and modern architecture, the interior of the Sportage highlights a new concept for Kia, transforming the cabin into a pleasant living space, complete with near-luxury, thoughtful features:
- – Available dual panoramic curved display3 seamlessly connects two screens for nearly 25-inches of viewing (12.3-inch digital instrument cluster, 12.3-inch infotainment screen)
- – Angular air vents
- – Asymmetrical console puts controls and buttons at driver’s hand with ease
- – Real stitching and detailed pattern on the seats create a feeling of luxury (SX-Prestige), along with animal-free leather (EX and above)
- – Innovative coat hanger molded behind front headrests with integrated hook for shopping bags or for organizing charging cables
To match the high-tech interior, the Sportage Hybrid is packed with standard and available infotainment to keep drivers connected and informed of what’s going on around them:
- – Standard Wireless Android Auto5 and Apple CarPlay6 on all trims
- – Intuitive new touchpad with climate and audio controls sits beneath the infotainment screen
- – Available 360-degree Surround-View Monitor with 3D view (first time on Sportage) provides a bird’s-eye view of vehicle surroundings
- – Available Harman-Kardon premium audio system
- – Multi-connection Bluetooth simultaneously links two smartphones (EX and SX-Prestige trims)
- – Personalized profile to remember seat position, outside mirror location (SX-Prestige only); infotainment preferences, phone connection pairings (EX only)
- – Available wireless charging pad built inside the upper tray
- – Available Kia Connect services (first Kia application) provide advanced embedded connectivity:
- – Wi-Fi Hotspot connects up to five devices to 4G LTE-based internet
- – Includes over the air map updates for eligible vehicles
- – Refreshed Kia Access App with newly added compatibility through Apple- and Android-based smartwatches to access features like remote climate control, door lock/unlock and more
- – Peace of mind with the recently introduced stolen vehicle tracking and immobilization capability
- – Connected Routing: Cloud-based system calculates the optimal route using real-time maps and predicted traffic info based on historical information and AI to learn the preferred routes of users
- – Smart Speaker Integration lets customers use Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant enabled smart speakers or devices to remotely control some functions (such as remote start)