Hyundai Motor America launched its enhanced Blue Link in-vehicle telematics platform, secured and integrated by Covisint, today at Pepcom’s Digital Experience, right before the opening of the Consumer Electronics Show (CES).
[ads id=”0″ style=”float:left;padding:5px;”]The next-generation Blue Link system features a destination search powered by Google, a Genesis Intelligent Assistant app and a Google Glass app. All these enhancements launch on the new 2015 Genesis sedan, which goes on sale in the Spring. Hyundai also used the event to debut its latest infotainment system premiering in the 2015 Genesis sedan.
“Customers told us they want Blue Link to work like their smartphone and we’ve worked with Google, Covisint and Station Digital Media to deliver this level of functionality,” said Barry Ratzlaff, executive director, Customer Connect and Service Business Development, Hyundai Motor America. “Blue Link subscribers now have access to Google’s accuracy and massive database when they search for destinations. Plus our engineers have developed a variety of new features aimed at delighting our customers.”
Blue Link Enhancements
- Destination Search powered by Google – users will be able to take advantage of Google’s powerful destination search via the Blue Link button (voice recognition) and navigation display, or through myhyundai.com and the Blue Link mobile app to send a destination to their car
- Remote Start – now includes an engine timer (1-10 min.), remote stop, remote climate control and remote defroster
- Automatic Collision Notification (ACN) and SOS Emergency Assistance –includes user-selected emergency contacts notification via SMS and e-mail
GENESIS INTELLIGENT ASSISTANT APP
The Genesis Intelligent Assistant is a proactive app for automobiles intended to save the driver time and provide an even higher level of convenience. The app combines Blue Link features, data from the vehicle, the owner’s smartphone and the internet with multiple layers of intelligence. This allows the Genesis Intelligent Assistant app to send proactive notifications and recommendations to the Genesis owner in preparation for their drive.
Genesis owners will no longer need to remember to remote start their car on a hot or cold day. The Genesis Intelligent Assistant app will remind them to do it through their smartphone.
Genesis Intelligent Assistant Functionality:
- By providing commute information and access to their smartphone’s calendar, owners can have the app automatically estimate appropriate departure times and send reminders for any upcoming appointments that require a drive.Vehicle health status will also be communicated through the user’s smartphone when an action is required. This will allow the customer to schedule car care for their Genesis directly from the app.
- Departure reminder messages are determined by up-to-the-minute commute times from the user’s current location to the destination, accounting for traffic.
- Temperature outside the vehicle is determined via zip code prior to the estimated departure time. If the temperature is above or below the default level, the user will receive a notification, asking if they would like to remote start their vehicle to heat it up or cool it down.
- The low fuel warning light is also monitored to determine if it is on or off. If it is on, the user will receive a notification that a fuel stop is required.
- Recommendations for gas stations are provided, allowing the user to select a station and send the location to the vehicle’s navigation system.
- Many additional Blue Link features are included within the app, making it a single, integrated solution for all driver’s vehicle needs.
- The Genesis Intelligent Assistant app is a framework for the future with additional proactive functionality becoming available over time to provide the customer with the ultimate luxuries of time and convenience.
HYUNDAI BLUE LINK GOOGLE GLASS APP
Hyundai Motor America also demonstrated a Google Glass app today as part of their exploration into how wearable technology and Blue Link fit into a customer’s lifestyle. The app currently contains the core Blue Link functions as building blocks for future activities. Partnering with Station Digital Media and Covisint, Hyundai plans to expand the app features, building on the concept of “Time as the Ultimate Luxury” and leveraging the proactive functionality of the Genesis Intelligent Assistant app. The Hyundai Blue Link Google Glass app is powered by the Covisint AppCloud API framework platform.
Released in limited numbers to early customers known as “Explorers,” Google Glass is a computerized, lightweight headset that can project text and images for the wearer to see on a special optical display. Google Glass Explorers can perform functions through voice commands and swipes or taps on a thin touchpad along the side of the frame.
Through the new app, Hyundai owners will be able to use Google Glass to access Blue Link’s vehicle safety, service and infotainment features. Blue Link will be available to Google Glass Explorers through a special experience created specifically for the new wearable technology.
“Google Glass offers an innovative opportunity for Hyundai to define and extend the customer experience outside of the vehicle,” said Ratzlaff. “Blue Link, combined with Google Glass, delivers a unique experience for customers that makes popular features and functions even more convenient to access.”
The Google Glass Blue Link app includes a host of popular functions at launch, including:
- Remote vehicle start
- Remote door lock/unlock
- Remote Find My Car (search for your vehicle location to receive directions to it)
- Point of Interest search sent to the Hyundai navigation system
- Search for a gas station to send to your car
- Call roadside assistance
- Talk to a Blue Link agent
- Locate nearby dealers
Google Glass Explorers can download the new glassware for the next generation Blue Link telematics platform from their MyGlass site. An active Blue Link subscription and compatible vehicle is required to login and access the app.
NEXT GENERATION INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM
The all-new 2015 Hyundai Genesis will launch in January at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit and will go on sale in the spring of 2014. Before the official reveal, Hyundai is showcasing at Pepcom its next generation infotainment system that will be available on the all-new Genesis. The new infotainment system represents Hyundai’s latest and most innovative approach to in-vehicle technology.
This next-generation infotainment system features:
- Integration with Apple’s Siri-powered “Eyes Free” modeSD Navigation
- Functionality allows owners of compatible vehicles to perform a variety of in-car tasks without taking their eyes off the road
- Pandora integration with smartphone
- SoundHound integration with smartphone
- SiriusXM Audio – 6 preset (record, play, pause, back)
- SiriusXM Travel Link and TrafficAdvanced voice recognition
- Sports scores and schedules
- Stock ticker
- Movie times (new feature)
- Fuel prices (new feature)
- Swipe technology
- Music, video and picture storage
- Customizable home screen (my menu)
ASSURANCE CONNECTED CARE SERVICE
Assurance Connected Care makes Hyundai the only non-premium automaker to offer a complete package of complimentary safety and car care services to its owners. Assurance Connected Care is a suite of safety and car care features providing Hyundai owners with free proactive services including automatic collision notification, SOS emergency assistance, enhanced roadside assistance, monthly vehicle diagnostics reports and maintenance alerts. Assurance Connected Care makes Hyundai the first manufacturer to include this degree of built-in safety and car care services standard for three years. The service is fully transferable to subsequent owners within three years of the vehicle’s date of first use.